Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Lesson 16 CHAPTER V: Karma Sannyasa Yoga: v 11 – 19 Unitive Action and Renunciation (Renouncing the benefits of action through yoga)

 After the last lesson, reading Lord of the Rings the same day, these

two popped up, about hope, and I shared them with Bailey:

After all he [Sam] never had any real hope in the affair from

the beginning; but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed

hope, as long as despair could be postponed. (Vol 2, 246)

 

It had always been a notion of his [Sam’s] that the kindness of

dear Mr. Frodo was of such a high degree that it must imply a

fair measure of blindness. Of course, he also firmly held the

incompatible belief that Mr. Frodo was the wisest person in the

world. (Vol. 2, 248)

I added a pithy quote about expectations from Nataraja Guru, in

my response to Gopica.

Bindu

These verses spoke to me in a very practical way. Working in a

demanding environment where there are targets, deadlines, system

issues, and many factors beyond my control, I often find myself

becoming attached to outcomes and feeling personally responsible

for everything that happens. The teaching here reminds me that

while I am responsible for my actions, I am not the owner of the

results. My role is to act sincerely, with care and integrity, and then

let go of excessive anxiety about what follows.

I understand more clearly now that it is not action itself that binds

us, but our attachment to it. The same action can either create

bondage or become a path to freedom depending on the attitude


behind it. When actions arise from ego, desire, fear, or the need for

recognition, they bind. When they are performed selflessly, with

awareness and without insistence on a particular outcome, they

become liberating. This insight encourages me to bring a spirit of

yoga into ordinary activities rather than reserving spirituality for

special times of prayer or meditation.

A recent incident in my own life helped me understand this

teaching more deeply. On 3 July, my son had taken my husband's

car to meet a friend and parked it on the main road. We had

previously experienced the theft of a car from our driveway, so my

husband had taken many precautions with this vehicle, including

additional security features and anti-theft protection. Yet, despite

all these measures, two people still managed to break into the car.

The alarm sounded, and fortunately my son saw what was

happening and ran towards the vehicle. The thieves fled before

they could take it away. Although the car was recovered, it

suffered damage and we had to pay more than £500 for repairs

because my husband chose not to claim through the insurance

company.

As I reflected on this event, I realised that life unfolds according to

causes and conditions beyond my control. We took every

reasonable precaution, yet the attempted theft still occurred. At the

same time, the car was not taken. Rather than remaining angry or

asking, "Why did this happen to us?", I felt grateful that the

situation was not worse. The incident reminded me that attachment

to possessions inevitably brings anxiety, while acceptance brings

peace. The thieves acted from desire and attachment, while our

challenge was to respond without hatred, fear, or bitterness. In that

sense, the event became a lesson in the difference between binding

and liberating action.

After the incident, I wrote these thoughts in my diary:


"As dawn dissolves the night, freedom fades for some.

The night wanderers return, having taken only what nature permits

to sustain life. They are called animals, for they live in harmony

with the law of necessity.

Yet there are those who possess reason, conscience, and choice,

and still take what is not theirs. They are called humans.

Perhaps wisdom is not measured by intelligence, but by the ability

to master one's desires. For the wild follows nature, while the

human heart alone can choose either harmony or greed."

The teaching that the Divine neither rewards nor punishes also

challenged some deeply ingrained beliefs. Like many people, I

grew up with the idea of God as a judge keeping account of every

action. These verses offer a more profound understanding. The

Divine simply shines, while ignorance prevents us from

recognising our true nature. I can see how the idea of divine

judgment sometimes creates fear, guilt, and self-condemnation.

Letting go of that image shifts the focus toward self-understanding,

responsibility, and inner growth. It also helps me become less

judgmental of others, recognising that each person is struggling

through different layers of conditioning and ignorance.

The image of wisdom shining like the sun gives me great hope.

Clouds may temporarily hide the sun, but they never diminish its

light. In the same way, anxieties, fears, attachments, and old habits

may obscure my deeper nature, but they cannot destroy it. This

reminds me of Narayana Guru's vision of the One Light that

remains ever-present behind all appearances. Spiritual growth is

therefore not about becoming something new but about removing

the obstacles that prevent that light from being recognised.

Narayana Guru's teachings also invite me to look beyond my outer

identity and discover the source of awareness itself. The mind,

senses, body, and even the world I experience are illuminated by a

deeper Reality, the "sun beyond." Reflecting on this helps me shift


my attention from what I appear to be to that which gives light to

all my experiences.

The discussion of vasanas and samskaras also resonates with me.

Our memories, habits, and subconscious tendencies shape how we

respond to life. In myself, I notice tendencies toward

responsibility, concern for doing things correctly, and sometimes

worrying about matters beyond my control. These tendencies do

not need to be suppressed or denied. Instead, they can be observed

with awareness and gradually transformed. The path is not

repression but understanding.

I have noticed how a single question can create a thought, the

thought can awaken a memory, the memory can become a

judgment, and the judgment can trigger an emotion. Often the

mind reacts to something old, yet the emotion feels completely

new and real. Observing this process helps me understand

how vasanas and samskaras continue to influence my perceptions

and responses in daily life.

One example comes from a painful experience in my childhood.

While my parents were working and trusting relatives to care for

me, someone took advantage of that trust and abused me. For

many years I carried the pain, anger, confusion, and sense of loss

that came from that experience. Even now, when I am struggling

or feeling vulnerable, those old memories sometimes return. There

were times when I felt angry about what happened, angry that I

was not protected, and even angry with God.

For a long time I felt like a flower crushed while still in bud. The

memory never completely disappeared, and I doubt it ever will.

Yet I have learned that healing does not necessarily mean

forgetting. After more than forty years, I was finally able to tell my

parents how deeply I had been hurt and how unsupported I had


felt. Speaking those words through tears was painful, but it was

also liberating. The experience no longer defines me as a victim.

Reflecting on these teachings helps me see that such memories are

part of the storehouse of samskaras carried within the mind. They

arise from time to time, not to punish me, but to be understood and

integrated. I now recognise that many girls of my generation

suffered similar experiences in silence because such matters were

rarely acknowledged or discussed openly. This understanding has

given me greater compassion for myself and for others who carry

hidden wounds.

Through awareness and self-inquiry, I am learning to witness these

memories rather than be overwhelmed by them. The pain may still

arise, but it no longer has the same power over my life. In this way,

what was once a source of suffering gradually becomes part of the

path toward understanding, resilience, and freedom.

I was also deeply touched by the vision of equality expressed in

these verses. True wisdom is not measured by intellectual

knowledge alone. A truly wise person sees the same Reality in all

beings, regardless of status, education, background, or appearance.

This echoes Narayana Guru's message of oneness and human

dignity. The more I reflect on this teaching, the more I realise that

genuine spirituality naturally expresses itself as humility,

compassion, and respect for all forms of life.

These teachings encourage me to integrate spirituality into every

aspect of daily living. Peace does not come from escaping

responsibilities but from changing the way I relate to them. When I

perform my duties without attachment, loosen the ego's claim of

being the doer, and strive to recognise the same Divine presence in

everyone, life becomes lighter and more meaningful. Every action,

every relationship, and every challenge becomes an opportunity to

remember the One Reality that shines through all. Through such


understanding, even the ordinary events of life become steps on the

path toward greater wisdom, freedom, and inner peace.

 Love Bindu xx

Scott: It’s hard for me to find anything to add to, in your essay,

Bindu. Here’s about all I could come up with. You, very correctly,

write: “When actions arise from ego, desire, fear, or the need for

recognition, they bind. When they are performed selflessly, with

awareness and without insistence on a particular outcome, they

become liberating.” Actually, actions are liberating already. Acting

as a yogi is already free from bondage. My small point is that

liberation is not a future achievement that we take action to bring

about, it’s our natural state. Bondage comes about when we add

expectations and fixed notions to our actions, and they shape our

performance to suit their demands. If you’d simply said the actions

are liberating instead of they become liberating, I wouldn’t have

had anything to quibble about at all. 

It may take us the entire course to free ourselves from the

idea that we are doing all this work to become wise, or self-

realized, or what have you. We’re simply removing the

impediments we’ve learned to add to the mix, so we can be more

fully ourselves.

Your conclusion about the spirit of yoga shows that this is a

habitual way most of us describe action, and you don’t even make

that mistake, so it’s just a semantic issue. Forgive me for

mentioning it, if it seems trivial to you.

Bummer about your car, but your yogic takeaways almost

make it worthwhile. I was robbed when I was fairly young, and it

gave me a vivid reaction of feeling violated—I really took it

personally. Your letting go of those types of reaction turned your

event into an educational, and even liberating opportunity.

Your understanding of verse 15 is most valuable. Here it is,

again:


The all-pervading One takes cognizance neither of the sinful

nor the meritorious actions of anyone; wisdom is veiled by

unwisdom; beings are deluded thereby.

It appears to me that for religious people, this is a lot like the death

of God. When God was alive, their actions were restrained by the

fear of being judged and punished. Now he’s gone, all hell is

breaking loose from those with that mindset: freedom means they

can get away with anything. Bindu, you have shown the spiritual

way to rightly embody that monumental shift. The all-seeing judge

is within us, and we’d best deploy it gently and wisely. May it

never die! Becoming less judgmental of others is a very happy,

very predictable corollary.

Knowing Narayana Guru’s enlightened teachings gives you a

leg up, Bindu. He and his lineage deserve all praise for realizing

the true meaning of the Gita. Many of us come to his philosophy

through the Gita itself, but your previous knowledge is clearly

making it easy for you to get the picture. Nice.

Great that you are able to address and mitigate old traumas as

part of your yoga practice, Bindu. Letting go of victimhood is a

major step in the right direction. You’re right: this is why

samskaras are necessary to recognize. They are repairable.

My favorite trip account of all time has an episode of

releasing a similar type of samskara. If you’d like to follow up on

what you’ve shared, I can send you the link or the excerpt.

Very nicely done, Bindu. Carry on!

Venkat

I am reading Lesson 13 on Sacrifices that arise from action bound

by wisdom. The section talks about sacrificing possessiveness,

different sacrifices, and an introduction to wisdom sacrifice.

Interestingly, we helped a friend move from Texas to Connecticut

and it took us back to the memory of travelling to India three years

ago. Sangeetha mentioned how none of these were really


necessary. The most important things we carried were diapers and

baby cream for the two-day-long travel. We made the most out of

the trip. The memories of being together with family and friends

along with the photos were the valuable possessions that stood

the test of time. Everything else we brought back was either worn

out or discarded over the years. But the memories were often a

place to revisit. Sometimes, Dhruv has a habit of carrying back

home a leaf, a stone, or a nut after a walk. I don't know what it

means to him but I think of it as a memory that he wishes to carry

back with him. We discard it in a few days but I am sure the

memories are forever. 

Growing up, I participated in a range of sacrifices mentioned in the

verses. In my school days, each day was associated with a deity

and going to their respective temple, offering flowers, and prayers.

There were days of fasting too. During my college days, I rejected

it all and questioned everything. I think mostly because of the

reciprocity that wasn't met and the unjust inequality. Today, in

contemplation, I realize it's the attachment to the expectation for

the former. I still can't figure out the latter.

Years later, a whirlwind of emotional experiences took me to my

distant uncle who was a Sri Vidya practitioner. At times, he would

suggest meditating on a mantra or a practice as simple as lighting a

lamp. The most cherished has been his words that took years for

me to realize. For me, the sacrifices mentioned in this chapter were

like a journey to the wisdom sacrifice. A journey of rejecting the

multitude of options to be with the Gurus. Currently, in this

journey, I still question a lot and reject a lot of things that don't suit

me but make sure to accept and cherish the valuable ones. 

On the question of what makes me high in a lasting way, I was an

ardent fan of movies in general. Watching them, talking about

them, and being mesmerized by them gave me highs in the past.

But in the past few years, I don't get any such highs from them. I


am just consuming them. I felt that I was not really contributing

anything. In recent years, I have been in awe of birds, their

migration patterns, parenting, nesting and environmental

behaviors. I have also grown some interest in reading and

understanding varied principles. 'What is time?' is one such

question that I have been researching for the sake of my own

understanding. These questions and research seem to give me a

high that lasts longer. Sometimes, I zone out of mundane

conversations to these questions that give me highs. 

July 15th was our 6th year wedding anniversary. We are high

school friends and marrying my wife was against societal

compulsiveness. We both loved each other when we met after

college and then chose to do our postgraduate studies in the US.

We had to wait for three years to get her family's approval. Love

marriages in India are still complicated. My father-in-law was

worried about societal acceptance and his expectations of my wife.

But things turned out well for us and we got married at the peak of

Covid in the USA amongst friends with family watching the

ceremony through the internet. I compare this to my current

expectations at work and the emotions that arise on rejection after

valuable contributions. The emotions seem to narrow my vision

and affect me. These emotions seem to clear out or not affect me in

contemplation or reading. But,at times, a word or a thought seems

to take me on an emotional journey. I still need to work on making

each moment an opportunity. 

Scott, thank you for helping me through tangible practices. 

Scott: Nice to have you along for the ride, Venkat. The fact that

it’s familiar territory will give you a unique angle on it. I’m sure

we would all like to hear about your uncle’s teachings, as they

come back to mind.

We just had 5-year-old Jai here for a few days, and he carried

a special rock around with him, that he’d found in the driveway.


There is something instinctual in humans for having an object to

ground ourselves on. Those with a religious bent call it worship.

As Narayana Guru would say, if it makes a better person, it’s good.

In chapter XII, Krishna will say worshipping an image is easier

than no image, though the result is the same.

In chapter IX, verse 26, I have given a philosophical

interpretation of the flower-on-altar sacrifice. You might find it

amusing right now. Sacrifice is of course a main theme in the Gita,

and I always tie it to my definition of “freely chosen activity.”

Sacrifice is what we do that is utterly optional.

You’re not alone in wondering where justice is to be found.

Turns out “unjust inequality” is much easier to practice, and it’s

present almost everywhere. The Gita provides a firm basis for

justice, but making it work is up to each of us. Questioning and

rejecting inferior options is an integral part of the wisdom

sacrifice.

The wisdom sacrifice holds up better than almost anything as

a source of profound satisfaction, and it can include the entire

spectrum of precious values and activities.

Congratulations on your 6 th anniversary, and already having a

child for half that time. Forgive me, but one of my favorite sayings

of Guru Nitya was that God is busy bringing stupids together,

because he wants the children. (He got very tired of the relational

problems we kept bothering him about. He surely wasn’t talking

about you and Sangeetha!)

Do make each moment an opportunity, by being fully aware

of it. It shouldn’t feel like work; it should be fun. Follow your

bliss, knowing bliss comes from understanding and engagement.

This course will offer you a lot to love, as part of that.

Gopica

Greetings! As i am travelling from tomorrow through out the

weekend, felt to send my response little earlier than usual. 


Loved reading these verses. They brought a feeling of liberation

and a yearning for that state of inner freedom, which I have only

tasted like a gentle breeze, momentarily and sporadically. For me,

the essence is: freedom is not found by avoiding action; it is found

by acting without being psychologically imprisoned by the action

or its outcome.

I realize that I may be under an illusion that I have already crossed

over from expecting results, yet I still face challenges in decision

making. I have been living with the understanding that I have

“surrendered to life” and yielded to whatever comes, but I often

feel hit by the consequences when things go wrong.

For example, I was recently invited to do career guidance for high

school students. The founder of the school is someone I already

know for delaying payment for services offered. Even though I had

experienced this pattern earlier, I offered my services again

without discussing the financial part. I was aware of their payment

cycle and waited for the expected date, while also feeling the need

to send a gentle reminder. I wrote to her with a thought-out

message, mentioning that if any services were required from me

for the coming month and the financial aspects of my previous

work is yet to be settled. She replied immediately, saying she

would connect and discuss it the following week. That week never

came.

I felt bad about myself for accepting the request in the first place,

knowing her operation. On reflecting, I could see that I sometimes

make decisions out of a need for money, without ensuring a clear

professional contract. In a way, I am inviting situations where there

is no proper agreement. This raises a question for me: how do I

conduct myself when requests come from such people? I see that I

need to find a strategy to initiate financial discussions before

offering services, irrespective of who the person is.


These verses help me see that I lost my peace here because there

was an unspoken motive in me when I accepted the request. My

learning is to act with clarity, to set fair boundaries, and to move

towards that inner freedom where I can serve and work, without

being trapped by anxiety about outcomes or by my own hidden

expectations.

Thank you!

Scott: Gopica, this philosophy does not mean you should leave

your fair payment for your work to chance—and it’s hardly chance

if you already knew you might not get paid.

Nataraja Guru, in his Gita, I’m pretty sure, wrote that the way

people interpret not having expectations is like a farmer burning

his field of corn after it has grown and ripened.

It sounds like you should be getting paid ahead of time. Or do

make a contract.

You could frame it as a unique opportunity to interact with

high school students, and treat the pay as a possible side benefit,

but that doesn’t sound like what you need.

I did career counseling once for graduating seniors, but I was

happy to volunteer (this class is how I volunteer nowadays). They

had never invited a firefighter before, and I don’t expect anyone

joined the service because of me, but they got a taste of a different

lifestyle.

Anyway, we just had a relevant lesson, at the end of chapter

IV:

42) Therefore, sundering with the sword of Self-knowledge this

ignorance-born doubt residing in the heart, stand firm in the

unitive way, and stand up, [Gopica]. (insertion mine )

Honest standing up is legitimate. We are surrounded by petty

politicians and CEOs who stand up for themselves beyond all

reason. The latter is called bullying, or worse.


Aha, I found Nataraja Guru’s appeal to reason:

Gita II.47

This is a much-quoted and much-abused verse which has been

bandied about by pseudo-pandits who seem to support the idea

that a man who works should not think of any results. If a man

should cultivate a field and if, when the corn is ripe, he himself

should set fire to it to prove to his neighbours that he does not

care for “the fruit of action,” that would almost correspond to

the sense in which many such pandits seem to interpret the

meaning of the verse. To expect reasonable results from any

action that a man might do is but normal, hence purposely to

minimize the importance of results in the sense indicated in the

above example, would be absurd.

Your conclusion is spot on, Gopica: “I lost my peace here because

there was an unspoken motive in me.” Self-examination is

necessary to reveal our hidden motivations, attributed by the

ancients to samskaras and vasanas, now to memories and genetic

codings. Yogis work with the ones they can repair, learn to accept

those they cannot—and come to know the difference. Once you get

the feel of it, it’s easier than the alternatives.

Bailey

I really appreciate your encouraging response to me, Scott!  For the

hobbit lore too, thanks. And I really love Bindu’s poem!  Grasping

the saving root which turns out to be a serpent now turning

angry—oh dear oh dear!  Talk about the unpredictability of actions

and consequences of actions. Then there’s Bindu’s own anger

awakened, she’s shouting at the Absolute...wait! now she’s

laughing, surrendering control.  The first book of a now

distinguished senior medievalist focused on monks in

Charlemagne’s day who developed rituals to express anger at relics

which failed to respond to prayers and solve problems as they were


supposed to: like Bindu, the monks cursed them out loud, and

collectively. You gotta laugh. Puts me in mind of a piece of advice

once offered by my Uncle Bob: “take your job seriously, but don’t

take yourself seriously”.  Or The Incredible String Band: “All this

world’s but just a play—be thou the joyful player.”  

July 5.  Today we met, my daughter Emma, her partner JV, Bruce

(husband or my ex-wife Kitch) and I, to discuss our understandings

of the situation of our brother/son/b-in-law/step-son ZL.  We all

agree that he is on a trajectory of grave concern: if he continues to

drink he will likely lose the job that has for the past four years

given him some sense of stability, purpose and financial

independence.  And die. What can be done?  JV, himself a serious,

self-destructive alcoholic in the 20’s who stopped for years, got a

PhD and was in a good marriage, fell off the wagon and managed

for a few years survived as a secret, binge-alcoholic until he

realized if he continued both marriage and career were likely lost,

stressed to us that only Zachary-Lewis can “hit bottom” and decide

he wants to go towards Life, not Death.  Emma said she has

recently come to the conclusion that, after years of trying to be

understanding, helpful, supportive it now seems to her that efforts

to influence her brother have been largely counter-

productive.  Bruce, who has known Zack well since he married his

mother Kitch in 1998, pretty much agreed that a lot of his and

Kitch’s efforts might be classed as enabling more than helping

solve the problem. He decided to attend an Al-Anon meeting for

himself, he went on to say.  There he learned the basic principle of

the “Three Cs: you didn’t Create the problem; you cannot Cure it;

your temptation is to keep trying to Control it.”

  As for me, after years of thinking there is good basic

communication between my son and me (it is true that he discusses

history with me with both good knowledge and enthusiasm) I have

concluded that his great skill lies in deflecting any real emotional

engagement.  As his sister puts it: he walls himself off.  Why does


he do this?  When did he start doing this?  What can I, can any of

us do at this point to help him?  During this conversation my mind

would go back to the Gita, in particular to Krishna’s assurance in

verse 11 that yogis can, “abandoning attachment” engage in

actions “for (purposes of) purity of Self” while verse 12 contrasts

those “desire-motivated, attached to results” with the actor(s) “of

unified discipline, discarding benefit motive”. 

 

July 14.  Bastille Day!  Now there’s a date to ponder, a story to

ponder for one drawn to try to understand the ramifications of past

events, the consequences of actions on the grand stage of human

history.  In 1789 the people of Paris capture the great feudal

fortress-prison that serves and symbolizes arbitrary power, (or

Tyranny in the still-fresh language of the American Declaration of

Independence, then only a dozen years old and well-known in

France). They kill a few Agents of Oppression, they free a few

prisoners, they demolish the hated structure/symbol stone by

stone.  They thus launch the French Revolution. The Declaration of

the Rights of Man (Humankind in our idiom) and Citizen will

follow shortly (a direct consequence); this will in turn inspire the

United Nations Declaration of Human Rights, the philosophical

basis or legitimate governance in our global world, as WWII was

ending.  Thus: A Good Thing surely?  There’s the story that this

question was put directly to Chou-en-lai, the Chinese Communist

leader most deeply steeped in philosophy and world history (he

had studied in France); he smiled, shrugged, “It’s a little soon to

tell.”  The Reign of Terror, its mass executions, civil wars in

France, Napoleon’s European wars can also, plausibly, be seen as

dynamics set in motion by the taking of the Bastille.  And what

about global-scale wars in the 20 th  century, current wars in the

Middle East and Ukraine—also consequences?  Take it from

another angle: the Bastille story can also be taken to legitimate the

principle of populism-driven power, used today by the Trump

Administration (among other actors on the globe) to justify its

repressive, tyrannical policies and actions.


July 15 (9AM) I just put out the refilled bird feeder my daughter

Emma gave me; sure enough, the birds have lost no time, they’re at

it, a chipmunk scampers by, that movement back at forest edge is

probably the rabbit, thank heavens the squirrels are off somewhere

else for the moment.  What a delight to watch these fellow critters

feeding away!

July 16 (10 PM). Since Christine returned we have resumed our

morning spiritual reading.  Today Emmanuel Desjardins was

commenting of one of the particular “formulas” Swami Prajnanpad

emphasized particularly for his Western disciples: the distinction

between emotion and sentiment, particularly in regard to acting, or

not.  Emotion impels people toward action, always for the wrong

reasons. Emotion fundamentally taints, distorts reality.  Sentiment,

in Swamiji’s use of the term, apprehends reality clearly and

neutrally, like the well-informed one of v. 18 for whom the

Brahmin and the eater of dogs are the same.  But emotions are

fundamental realities for us human critters in our relativistic realm

where we are buffeted about by vasanas and samskaras.  To try to

deny them as in some sense unreal, unworthy of existing, will not

help anyone along the spiritual path.  On the contrary!  A guy loses

his girlfriend to another guy–as in the Beatles song “She’s got a

ticket to ride”.  He’s hurt, he hates it, but he says to himself: OK, I

refuse to be jealous, I am stronger than that—“she don’t

care?”  well, I don’t care, so there!  What he’s trying to do is to

refuse, repress, deny the full extent of his own emotion.  I’m

thinking of Scott’s comments on v. 18:  this guy is squelching

himself, those vasanas are hopping about, full of suppressed,

indignant energy.  Probably all of us have suffered in some

configuration of that reality; I certainly have.  Swamiji, says ED,

would put it this way: fully accept the emotion, don’t evade the

suffering, be “one with the reality”, but don’t be driven to action

(or non-action) by the emotion.  Act –or refrain from

acting—consciously.  The sentiment of disappointment, of


betrayal, is just. I have a mental picture of those Carolingian

monks shaking their fists, chanting Latin curses at those relics

they’ve piled up before the altar.   

 

      Time to wind this one up, head for bed, carry on.

Scott: Oh yeah, Bailey: that song (“ Maya ”) from the Incredible

String Band is one of my all-time favorites, with its refrain “all this

world is but a play, be thou the joyful play—er.” That’s the spirit.

And there’s nothing like a good song to lift the soul when the

outlook is dispiriting. Music is meditation too.

Speaking of which, the lead article on this month’s (August)

issue of the Atlantic is on the post-literate age that is already upon

us, proceeding at full speed. Brilliant, but oh so distressing. As

usual, I’ve cast my lot with complex sentences and concepts, while

the circus is headed the opposite direction…. My Gita commentary

is seriously out of date, and so am I. And I’m so glad. I’m glad,

I’m glad, I’m glad. To cite another beloved song from my

developmental period.

Cursing the deity as therapy reminded me of a favorite

section in Nitya’s autobiography, Love and Blessings:

I am so glad that nobody taught me Freud when I was five or

six. Consequently I had a clean and natural mind. Then the

awareness of sexuality crept into my life almost like a dark

conspiracy. One of my cousins, Vasu, wanted to share the

intelligence he was gathering about sex, and he found me a

willing listener. Every day when we returned from school, he

used to take me to a nearby thicket to give me my daily lessons.

As in an occult initiation, he always wanted me to take the oath

of secrecy before learning new words.

Afterwards as a grownup, when I sat at the feet of my gurus

to listen to mantras and mahavakyas, I remembered that my

cousin had been as solemn and serious as any guru. The only

difference was that the qualitative psychodynamics of


obscenity were far greater than those of the sacred mantras.

Every word he uttered went deep into my mind at once, and I

never forgot them. When the organs of action are counted, the

order is given as speech, hands, legs, excretory organs, and

procreative organs. So it is no wonder that infantile sexuality

begins with words and that of the adult culminates in

procreation. (27)

I don’t know what to say about helping an alcoholic, or any

kind of holic, for that matter, other than it’s truly God’s problem.

For humans, fixing it is well-nigh impossible. The impossible

occasionally becomes possible with enough persistence. I feel for

you. My kids are okay, I’m pretty sure. I’ve only had a brother-in-

law, my best friend for ten years, to try out my schemes on. I was

easily defeated by him, throwing my good intentions back in my

face, with glee. I was the one with a problem, not him. Deflection

with a sadistic flourish.

Let me quote Love and Blessings again, Nitya writing to my

wife regarding the very same person, years before the crisis.

Probably this isn’t adequate advice for a son:

You should not be saddened about anyone unless your sadness

has a positive or negative impact on him to jolt him out of the

impasse and set him right. I may observe a fast, or cry, scream,

slap myself and roll on the floor like a mad dog if only I see the

ghost of a chance to pull the other to the right track. If that is

not possible, I prefer to walk away with a prayer in my heart.

May you continue to be a joyful player, Bailey. Can anyone

“abandon attachment” for their children? It sounds like a sin. Yoga

in practice means more like “ameliorate attachment,” maintaining

a balanced perspective as we carefully make our way through the

chaos that we would love to dispel, but can’t.


I was born in 1951, and grew up to viscerally experience a

peaceful, prosperous, stable, human-rights endorsing nation, and

man, it was fabulous! I couldn’t imagine why anyone would want

to torpedo it. The gods must be crazy…. We are definitely

undergoing a quantum leap of some kind. It wouldn’t be a quantum

leap if we knew where we were headed.

I agree with you, Bailey. I think Prajnanpad is a bit off.

Emotions—feelings—are how our inner guru communicates

(nonverbally!) with our surface mind, the part that interacts with

the outside world, using words and their concepts to form the

plans. Ideally our words are in tune with what they describe. When

they aren’t, our emotions can and do lead us astray. The first

definition of sentiment in my actual Random House College

Edition dikker, is an attitude toward something; second is a feeling

or emotion. I expect the root has to do with sensing through the

senses, which is scorned in Vedanta, and now scientists know what

the rishis understood without technology: our own brain interprets

the sensing and displays it to us as our view of the world.

In both senses, emotion and sentiment, we are called upon to

distinguish fact from fancy, knowing we are substantially ignorant,

always. Yes, if we’re in a rage, we should be suspicious of its

validity, and we can be swept away by desire in many forms. Our

inner guru is like Krishna, in that it doesn’t recognize social

distinctions. Ergo, we have to supply those whenever necessary.

This seems to me to only matter when we’re acting. In the

absence of action, what’s the problem? The Gita stays with action

all through, and that is very different from some other philosophies

that emphasize restraint more gravely.

Pun intended.

Clearly you understand all this, Bailey, and you end with an

excellent wrap-up. We’re aiming for balanced understanding, here,

and not simply turning away from engagement with our glorious

world. And it must include getting furious at what’s happening,


and then equalizing our feelings, for our own and others’ benefit.The intensity gives depth to the equanimity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lesson 16 CHAPTER V: Karma Sannyasa Yoga: v 11 – 19 Unitive Action and Renunciation (Renouncing the benefits of action through yoga)

 After the last lesson, reading Lord of the Rings the same day, these two popped up, about hope, and I shared them with Bailey: After all he...